Pancakes, Hotcakes, Flapjacks or Johnnycakes, whatever you may call them - they have been a food staple that can be traced back to the Stone Age (for the history of pancakes, click here). While there are many diffferent recipes and methods for pancake creations, our friends at Pacific Foods have shared their healthier version that is Vegan friendly!
Recipe makes 10 servings
- 1 ½ cups white spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup Pacific Foods Organic Steel-Cut Unsweetened Oatmeal*
- 1/3 cup organic canola oil
- 1 ½ cups of Non-Dairy Beverage (recommend Pacific Foods Organic Coconut Original Beverage)
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Vegan buttery spread for frying the pancakes
*Pacific Foods Organic Steel-Cut Oatmeal is pre-cooked and ready to eat! Simply heat in a microwave safe bowl and enjoy!
- In a large bowl, whisk together the white spelt flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the organic canola oil, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and Pacific Organic Steel-Cut Unsweetened Oatmeal.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to incorporate.
- Set aside for a few minutes - you will see the batter puff up from the baking powder.
- Put a tablespoon of vegan buttery spread in a skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Once the vegan buttery spread is sizzling, spoon the batter into the pan. Reduce the heat slightly.
- Watch the pancakes closely - when the edges are starting to firm up and look cooked, use a spatula to flip the pancakes carefully. Cook until pancakes are golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Add more vegan buttery spread to the pan between each group of pancakes.
- Serve with more chocolate chips, powdered sugar, or pure maple syrup.